Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Back to the 60s again



Mike Howze has been "digging in the basement" (or wherever) like so many other former SAMOA members, now that Minis and the 40th reunion are filling his mind. Here is some of what he dug up. Dash plaques from some long-ago events (who could forget the Mini Mother Cross!?) and really fine t-shirt art by local artist Fred Palmer. Fred used to do a lot of illustrations for the hod-rod crowd but Mike managed to talk Fred into doing one of Mike's Cooper S. Groovy!

Hopefully Mike, and everyone else who have found SAMOA memorabilia, will bring it all to the reunion on the 18th.

3 comments:

Toby said...

Apparently, Fred Palmer assumed Minis had V8 engines, judging by the stacks in that print!

(It seems he got it right on the side pipes, though!)

Look at all those plaques...whatever happened to all those clubs that sponsored them regularly? Again, I noticed the TYEE Triumph club events.

j everett said...

The Mini Mother Cross was the only autocross I ever drove.
It was in May naturally, and Gretchen was born the end of July.
Maybe thats why she loves racing so much.
J Everett

cheleker said...

Jerri, another story I'd never heard!

I remember the first autocross I ever saw was and early Mini Mother Cross. Gerry had set up the course so that on the course map it spelled out "MOM"!

Some of my favorite cars were there: Mustangs, Cameros and a hot rod Barracuda. The Minis trounced them all and I was impressed. It wasn't long after that Del Gould gave me a ride in the Downton. Then I was hooked!